|at Apostrophe Copywriters|
|Date Posted||September 19, 2018|
We're looking for freelance writers to join us here at Apostrophe Copywriters.
Apostrophe is a copywriting collective based in Melbourne, Australia and peppered right around the globe. Our in-house team and award-winning writers are bound together by curiosity, cheek and a spirited way of being.
We have a policy we like to call freedom within a framework, which is why our writers have been known to submit copy from a boat off the coast of Indonesia or a bullet train hurtling towards Mt Fuji. They’ve also tapped the keys while watching their newborn sleep, launched start-ups… even while on honeymoon in Berlin*.
You’ll find the names of the world’s top advertising agencies and publications littered through our writers’ resumes – from Ogilvy to National Geographic, Cummins to Rolling Stone, and even Penthouse.
*For the record, we’d never expect you to work during your honeymoon. Apparently writing taglines and web copy gets some people in the mood. Whatever does it for you, we won’t judge.
So, who exactly are we looking for?
You’re the kind of writer who can make someone laugh, cry, pick up the phone, get their hearing checked, or consider grubs as a food source… if that’s what the brief calls for. And trust us, sometimes it gets a little weird.
- Have 4+ years’ experience in a multi-national advertising agency and a folio of award-winning work.
- Have developed tone-of-voice guides, brand stories, big campaign ideas and know how to weave an idea into long-copy.
- Know how to create great work that’s strategically sound and always on brief.
- Be open to bouncing ideas off others and getting actively involved in a community of curious and creative thinkers.
- Be ready to throw around concepts, share insights and rationales, and take on feedback along the way.
- Have a good attitude.*
*Please note: we like egos. But only when they’re branded Magnum.
You’re the kind of writer who can turn tricky content into something that glues people to their screen (or makes them flip the page for more) and has an area of expertise that you’ll never get tired of waxing lyrical on.
- Have had your work featured in a number of publications from your 4+ years of writing experience (we’re talking big publications where there are 10,000+ eyeballs on your work).
- Have 50% of your work dedicated to your particular field – be it tech, finance, health or legal etc.
- Be a master at crafting long copy (complete with headlines, subheads etc.).
- Have conducted interviews, pitched ideas and know how to get your facts straight.
- Be comfortable working to a content strategy, developing topics and using supplied SEO keywords.
- Be an active part of the Apostrophe community and occasionally partner up with a conceptual copywriter on briefs.
- Know that formatting is key and grammar is sexy.
- Get when the metaphor quota is up (don’t even get us started on clichés).
The fine print…
We want writers with a genuine passion for words, and the work ethic to match. The types who won’t stop tinkering until the job is just right and understand that feedback is an integral part of the process (as our in-house editors will attest).
As an Apostrophe writer, you’ll be a part of an active community of thinkers. All jobs are offered on a project basis – some will see you brainstorming and writing alongside your fellow writers, while for others you’ll lead the way solo.
Want to be considered for team Apostrophe? Here’s how to apply:
Before we meet you, we’d like to know a bit about you and see some of your work. Please apply via this clever form.. That's right, click through to this form, in this hyperlink. Or this one. Pick a link – they're all the same. Ta.