|at Apostrophe Copywriters|
|Date Posted||October 5, 2018|
Apostrophe Copywriters is on the hunt for a dealmaker, AKA business development manager or accounts executive. You’ll bring clients to the table, sell them the Apostrophe way and wrap up the business end of things before handing the packaged project over to the rest of our team to execute.
You get a severe thrill every time you close a deal. Despite your winning ways no one would describe you as ‘salesy’. You’re a ‘people person’. You only sell what you believe in.
Landing new business isn’t a challenge. You created a stock exchange of marbles before you were ten. You understand that big goals take a thousand tiny steps. And you’ve already taken twenty of them in reading this ad.
The dream clients, the jobs that make a difference, the Feel Good Do Good clients*, that brand with the 10,000% margin and rep to follow, the accounts that flex our brains and the gigs that nourish our collective souls: this is why you get up in the morning. It’s not whether you’ll land an account, it’s whether you’ll land the account.
You also understand the importance of a diverse fleet. From small boats to sail ships – there’s no business unless the dough’s rolling in. And you close off every job personally, because you actually give a shit. If this sounds like you, keep reading.
So, who exactly are we looking for?
- You’re the type of person who immediately understands a client’s business in all its messy glory, and you can pinpoint its strengths and weakness, see where the problems lie and clearly explain how Apostrophe can solve them.
- You’re so cool under pressure you make a meeting without air con on a 40-degree day feel like a tropical holiday. This means you can negotiate with a clear head.
- Speaking of heads, you’ve got one for facts and figures. You’re fluent in spreadsheet, Xero, and Salesforce (or you’re great at learning those kinds of languages) and you can translate data into insights and trends, so you know where to look next.
- Your sense of timing is impeccable, so when you’re in focus mode, even the most well-aimed paper airplane doesn’t prove a distraction. You get the task done every time, without relying on prompts or reminders (unless they’re of your own making).
- You’re honest, accountable and stuffed to the brim with integrity. Clients, co-workers, friends and fam trust you because you always deliver what you promise, without fuss or delay.
- You make a killer first impression and my gosh does it last – for weeks, months and years. Clients remember you and you remember their third child’s pony’s wedding anniversary. Every year. You forge strong relationships with clients from all walks of life.
- You’re ballsy, but always know how to handle disputes or differences of opinion without ruffling feathers – clients come away thinking that the solution was most definitely their idea.
- You know your strengths and weaknesses, and you’re happy to hear them sung at the right time, in the right way. Especially your weaknesses. Because you know that understanding the gaps in your repertoire can only mean one thing: evolution.
- Resistance isn’t something that bothers you in the slightest – you enjoy the challenge of coming up with a better solution.
- You know how to pick the alpha in the room before anything’s been said. In fact, you’re likely to share a few traits.
- You listen before you speak but once you get going you could talk your way out of a Houdini straight-jacket. This means you can juggle multiple perspectives but then effectively sell in the right idea, so that everyone walks away with ownership.
- You’re familiar with creative industries even if you’ve never worked directly for them.
Day-to-day you will:
- Source and secure new (strategically aligned) business with complete independence
- Identify opportunities with existing clients, and look for new growth areas to target*
- Work to coin-related KPIs
- Write accurate quotes, manage and attend meetings and manage the sales pipeline
- Work alongside/report to our founder and creative director
- Research future trends/industries to target and share your knowledge with the team.
*We work alongside digital, design and branding agencies. When it comes to direct clients, we have an affinity for brands in the following areas: tech, sustainability (architecture, food-related products, green energy), education, and health.
You’ll need to have:
- A proven (and demonstrable) history of success in sales – show don’t tell
- At least four years in a sales/accounts/business development role
- A strong understanding of business development
- Excellent communication skills
- Solid understanding of how to leverage a brand across multiple channels
- A little black book full of contacts, connections, and anecdotes (including the time you shared some tequila with that ECD in Texas) within the creative industries
- The ability to negate problems before they even exist
- A competitive spirit, a good dose of empathy and a bloody good attitude.
So, who are we?
Apostrophe Copywriters is a 40-strong copywriting collective based in Collingwood and peppered right across the globe. Two-thirds of us have worked in the world’s top advertising agencies, and the rest have made their mark (and continue to do so) by drawing inspiration from previous chapters of their life such as environmental science, naturopathy, architecture, law, music and much more. We’ve worked with global design agencies, boutique branding teams and gung-ho start-ups that are defining their own categories. We’ve wowed clients with brand stories and taglines, and smashed world records with crowdfunding campaigns. There’s almost nothing we haven’t written for or about. And we’re only too happy to accept a new challenge.
Apostrophe is a small business with big ambitions. We’re increasingly global with September 2018 seeing a new pop-up office in Amsterdam, and that’s just the beginning of our international trajectory – every month we have more clients in the US and across Europe.
The nitty gritty:
This is a full-time role on a three-month contract to start. Show us what you’re made of to make this thing permanent. Salary will be considered alongside the prowess you bring.
Does this sound like you?
If so, please send us some impressive stats, your CV and the top three questions you’d ask our founder to identify the juiciest areas for growth. All applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org